Wednesday 25 August 2010

A quiet week?

I am constantly struggling with the concept of a quiet week. I can not remember the last time I was bored. But then again I do not understand people that are bored.

I love being alone, I really do. There are so many TVshows I want to watch, blogs to read, things on the internet to check out, movies to see, comics to read, manga to devour, books to enoy, and friends to gchat with. If I did not have to work, I would happily stay at home for 6 months on end and turn into one of these Otaku weirdos. Oh wait, I did this actually a couple of years ago, and loved every single second of it. Eventually I decided it was slightly unhealthy behavior (plus I was broke), so ventured out into the world again and resumed my crazy happy social life (that does include paid full time employment). But I always promise myself that I will stay at home 2 nights a week to read. It NEVER happens. Free concert tickets here, leaving do there, quick after work drinks or some exciting event I just need to check out (Harajuku night in Camden for example). Friends to meet, things to do, places to discover.... but when, oh when do I then indulge in all my geeky past times? It seems in the middle of the night.

The concept of a quiet week therefore does not work for me. I come home from being out at a reasonable time because I want to have a quiet week and then happily watch Eureka until 03.00 in the morning. A Sunday afternoon spend at home doing laundry instead of pub lunch turns into a The Guild Marathon on Youtube. There are just too many distractions to accomplish a quiet week. Even if the distractions are found in the internet instead of at a club/pub/bar... So thus I keep on living a balance act between pisshead and geekhead, and the only side that loses is my beloved sleep. And I did feel it this morning. Oh boy, today's tube ride was a philosophical journey as I was so sleepy the letters of my fantasy tome kept blurring in front of my eyes and thus had nothing better to do then ponder this dilemma

I have had long discussions on the past about this with my friends and family, and it seems everyone keeps busy differently. Some can happily sit still for a whole day and read, otherwise need to move and do things - the eternal beach vs mountains questions. I want to do both!!! I guess there is no hope for a quiet week for me... ever... as appearantly I meet some friends tomorrow for dinner. I just agreed with a friend to go to a interactive museum over the weekend. D'oh!

No comments:

Post a Comment